No one likes to be cold when they’re sleeping.
You don’t have to be freezing at night, however, if you have one of the best heated mattress pads.
There’s plenty of these products to choose from too and you’ll find one that fits any bed. Plus, there’s a lot of different price options as well.
Let’s take a look at my top picks now.
Serta Heated Mattress Pad (All Sizes)
Our Rating: 4.8/5
The first mattress pad on this list comes from a well known bedding company – Serta. When you purchase from them you know you’re getting high quality and a product that’s going to deliver.
That’s exactly what you’ll get if you decide on this mattress pad. It’s extremely comfortable and ensures you’re nice and toasty all night long.
- 10 heat settings: You’ll be able to get the perfect heat setting with this pad and that’s because you get 10 different heat settings to choose from.
- 10 hours shut off time: If you get out of bed and forget to turn the heating off, you won’t have to worry. This Serta mattress pad automatically turns off after 10 hours.
- Pre-heat feature: Before you hop into bed you can heat this mattress pad up. This way it’s ready to go the second you get into bed.
- Low voltage technology: This feature gives you peace of mind and makes sure this product is completely safe to use.
- Machine washable: When it comes time to clean this product you won’t have to take any special steps. You can throw it right into your washing machine.
In terms of price, this Serta mattress pad isn’t too bad and is right where you’d expect to pay. One thing that’s nice is you get a 5 year warranty with this product. You know because of this you’ll enjoy sleeping on this pad for a long time.
Sunbeam Quilted Heated Mattress Pad (All Sizes)
Our Rating: 4.8/5
Sunbeam is another company that makes different products for your bedroom. In fact, their heated blankets are very high quality and many people love them – this goes for their heated mattress pads too.
One thing you’re really going to like is the price. This product is one of the most affordable mattress pads on this list and also one of the best values. If you’re looking to save a few bucks without giving up anything in the quality department, this is the product for you.
- Ultra soft: This isn’t my opinion either, this is the actually softness rating which is almost the softest you can get.
- 10 heat settings: When you buy one of these products you want to make sure it gives the perfect amount of heat. You get 10 heat options to choose from and you’re guaranteed to find one that suits you perfectly.
- 10 hours shut off: This is a safety feature and makes sure this mattress pad won’t overheat if you forget to turn it off.
- Dryer safe: This Sunbeam pad can be washed in your washing machine and can be put right into the dryer after.
You don’t have to just take my word for this either. This is one of the most popular heated mattress pads on the market and has thousands of customer reviews. If you want to read a few of them and see what all these people have to say, click below:
Perfect Fit Heated Mattress Pad (All Sizes)
Company: Perfect Fit
Our Rating: 4.8/5
This Perfect Fit heated mattress is another product that everyone should consider. This mattress pad delivers in every way possible and is one that’ll make you excited to go to bed every night.
One aspect that you’re going to like is how evenly the heat is distributed throughout this product. There’s not one side that’s hotter than the other or anything like that – head to toe you will get warmth.
- Waterproof: If you spill something on this mattress pad, you don’t have to worry. This product is waterproof and makes cleaning easier if there’s an accident. Also, stains get repelled as well.
- Thin heating elements: You’ll really like how the heating elements are woven into this mattress pad too. You won’t feel them when you’re sleeping.
- Low voltage: The electrical current in this product is kept low so there’s no safety problems and there’s no threat of an electrical fire.
- Machine washable: This is another product that doesn’t require special washing or drying. Just throw it in the washing machine and dryer and you’re good.
In terms of price, this product is a little more expensive than most of the mattress pads on this list. There’s a reason for that, though, and that’s because this is one of best you can get.
Also, it’s another product that has thousands of customer reviews which you can read by clicking below:
Holmes Quilted Heated Mattress Pad (King & Queen)
Our Rating: 4.8/5
This Holmes product is a lot like the previous 3 you’ve already seen and will work for anyone looking to fit a king or queen size bed – if you’re looking for smaller than that you’ll want to look elsewhere.
This mattress pad has a safety feature that you’ve seen a few times already. It automatically shuts off after 10 hours and this means it’ll never heat up too much and you won’t have to worry if you forget to turn it off.
- Very soft: This pad is very soft and is 100% cotton. It’ll feel like you’re sleeping on a cloud every time you go to bed.
- 5 heat settings: A few of the products up top have 10 heat settings and this one comes with 5 heat settings. This isn’t a big deal that it’s less and you should still be able to find a perfect amount of warmth.
- 5 year warranty: This mattress pad is well made and meant to last. In fact, it comes with a 5 year warranty. This really shows the overall quality you’re getting!
In terms of price, it costs exactly where you’d expect it to be and it’s in the $100 range. That’s definitely more than fair for what you’re getting and you’ll be very satisfied with this Holmes product if you purchase it.
Thermee Micro Flannel Heated Mattress Pad (All Sizes)
Our Rating: 4.7/5
The Thermee micro flannel heated mattress pad is another product that I like and will satisfy basically everyone’e needs and wants. Unlike the last pad you just saw, this one comes in all sizes and will fit all beds.
One aspect that I really like is this mattress pad has deep pockets and that means it’ll go over all corners. It won’t constantly be popping up and will stay in place.
- 8 heat settings: This is right in the middle of the last product you saw and the other ones. You’ll be able to get the perfect amount of heat because of this.
- Machine washable: If you need to clean this Thermee product you can easily do that. Just throw it right into the washer and dryer!
- 10 hour shut off time: This is another product that shuts off in 10 hours and this ensures no fires or anything like that will ever happen.
In terms of price, the Thermee heated mattress pad is a little more pricey than most. It comes with a 5 year warranty, however, and that should give you peace of mind you’re getting your money’s worth.
Biddeford Heated Mattress Pad (All Sizes)
Our Rating: 4.7/5
Biddeford is a company that’s well known and makes a lot of different blankets and products for your bedroom. When you purchase from them you know your’e getting a company that knows what they’re doing and makes excellent products.
Their mattress pad is pretty inexpensive too and is perfect for anyone that’s not looking to spend too much. Also, there’s sizes to fit all needs and beds.
- 10 heat settings: This is another mattress pad that gives you 10 different options in terms of heat. You’ll get exactly what you want because of this.
- Comfortable materials: The top layer of this product is made from a blend of cotton and polyester. This makes for a very soft and comfortable combination.
- Thin wires: Some poorly made heated mattress pads have bulky wires and are uncomfortable. This Biddeford pad uses discreet wiring and you won’t feel them.
This is another mattress pad that has thousands of customer reviews to read. If you want to see what some of these people are saying about this one, click below:
Beautyrest Heated Mattress Pad (All Sizes)
Our Rating: 4.8/5
This Beautyrest heated mattress pad is basically the same as the ones you’ve already seen – there’s nothing really separating it from the pack but it also isn’t lacking anything to give you pause.
For instance, this product comes with 5 heat settings which you’ve seen a bunch of times already. It’s a feature that you’ll appreciate and just ensures you’re always at your most comfortable.
- 10 hours shut off time: This is another aspect that you’ve seen a bunch of times. It’s important, though, and keeps this product from overheating.
- Machine washable: Do you really want to hand wash this mattress pad when it comes time to cleaning? Of course you don’t. This pad allows you to throw it right into the wash like any piece of clothing.
- Minimalist wiring: Even though the wiring in the mattress pad is basically undetectable, it still gives a good amount of heat and warmth.
This is a very quality product and comes with a price tag you’d expect – it’s not overly expensive but it’s certainly not a budget mattress pad.
Electrowarmth Heated Mattress Pad (All Sizes)
Our Rating: 4.8/5
Electrowarmth isn’t as well known as some of the other brands on this list but this is still a product that’s definitely worth checking out. It’s as quality and functions as well as basically all other mattress pads.
One aspect that makes this product very convenient is it can be both machine washed and dyed. This will save you time and frustration when it comes to cleaning.
- 10 heat settings: This isn’t the most unique feature but it’s one that’s important to have. It ensures you’re not too hot or too cold.
- All around heating: This mattress pad delivers heat evenly across and there won’t be any “dead” heating zones.
- Automatic shut off: If this pad is left on too long or is used in an unsafe manner, it will automatically turn on.
This product has more sizes than any other mattress pad on this list and is a little more than most in terms of price. You do get a full 1 year warranty, though, and that definitely makes the extra cost worth it.
Berkshire Blanket Heated Mattress Pad (All Sizes)
Our Rating: 4..7/5
Here we have another heated mattress that has all the features that you look for and is one that basically everyone should consider. One thing that I like is it can fit all mattresses too.
All bed sizes are covered including king, queen, full and twin. You’ll be covered with almost all thicknesses too and this Berkshire mattress pad will fit all beds up to 18 inches.
- Extra padding: Besides just heating, when you get a mattress pad you want it to be comfortable. This product comes with plenty of padding and makes this pad cloud like.
- High quality heating system: The heating elements in this mattress pad are thin and you won’t feel them. Also, the wiring stays put and won’t move around.
- Dual controllers: If you decide on this pad you get dual controllers on both sides. This makes life easier when you want to change the heat.
You also get 5 different heat settings. How much is this product going to cost? It’s on the pricey side and will cost a few extra bucks to own. If you want to spend less, though, there’s plenty of other options on this list to choose from.
SensorPEDIC Heated Mattress Pad (All Sizes)
Our Rating: 4.7/5
The SensorPEDIC heated mattress pad is one that I like a lot and I know if you decide on it, you’ll like it a lot too. One thing that really stands out to me is how safe it is to use.
One of the main reasons for this is it has Sensorsafe materials built in. What these materials do is keep this product from overheating and this basically takes away any safety concerns that you would otherwise have.
- Water repellent: It’s not a big deal if you spill water on this product because it’s completely water repellent. It’s also stain repellent which means it’ll look new for a long time.
- Heat timer: You get the option to have the heat running from anywhere from 1 to 12 hours. After 12 hours this product automatically turns off.
- 9 different heat settings: This is definitely a feature that’s a must have and mostly all heated mattress pads come with multiple heat settings.
In terms of price this product is smack dab in the middle – it’s not overly expensive but it’s not cheap either. Overall, this mattress pad is an excellent value.
Heated Mattress Pad FAQ’s
1) Question: How to size a mattress pads?
Even the best quality foam mattresses wear out over time and when they do, it does not necessarily mean that you have to throw them out. Getting a mattress pad to top the mattress will be a great way to bring the original comfort of the mattress back. Mattress pads are also wonderful for people who have back problems and they need relief from the pressure of lying on their backs the entire day.
In order to enjoy all of the comfort that comes from having a mattress pad, you need to consider some factors before buying one. Here are some tips on how to size a mattress pad and other maintenance tips which will help you get the best mattress pad to suit your needs.
Sizing the mattress pad
There are three types of mattress pads in the market:
· Anchor mattress pads: these are made with elastic bands that secure the corners of the pad to the edges of the mattress. They are the least secure type.
· Fitted mattress pads: these are made like the regular fitted sheet. The top and the sides are covered with elastic corners and most of the times, the top side of the pad is also quilted.
· Wrap mattress pads: these are large enough to wrap around the top and the sides of the mattress. The pad is then secured at the bottom of the mattress. The top and the sides of the pad are quilted to give perfect comfort.
When sizing the mattress pad, there are two dimensions which come to mind, whether the mattress pad will fit around the mattress and the thickness.
The mattress pad length
When sizing a mattress pad, you need to consider the size of your bed and mattress. Here is a breakdown of the common sizes of mattress pads that are available in the market:
· Twin size mattress pads: these generally fit a bed with dimensions of 38 by 75 inches
· Twin extra-large mattress pads: They are perfect for a 38 by 80-inch dimension mattress
· Full-size mattress pads: The dimensions of the mattress that will be fit by the full size are around 54 by 75 inches
· Queen size mattress pads: These are ideal for a mattress whose dimensions are 60 by 80 inches.
· King size mattress pads: They can comfortably fit a bed whose dimensions are 76 inches by 80 inches.
This is a general sizing guide for the most common mattress pads. If you are looking for a mattress pad for a rare bed size such as camper beds and baby beds, you will have to ask the store if they stock the sizes.
The sizing process
Getting the size of your bed is quite simple. For instance, if you know that your bed is queen size, you just need to tell the person helping you pick the mattress pad the size of your bed and they will guide you to the appropriate pad size. However, if you are looking for a wraparound pad, it would be better to think about getting the exact measurements for yourself. Follow these steps when getting the right size:
· Get measuring tape and strip your bed of all the bedding, leaving the mattress bare.
· Start with the length of the mattress, measure the distance from the headboard to the foot and record the measurement
· Measure the length across the mattress and record the measurement as the width
· If you need a wraparound mattress pad, you will also need to consider the thickness of the mattress. Lift the mattress off the bed and measure the thickness in inches. Record the measurement.
· Another important thing you need to note when choosing a wraparound pad is that the thickness could make it hard for the padded mattress to fit in the bed, depending on your bed’s design, and therefore, you need to leave that allowance. However, most of the times mattresses shrink with age, and the allowance will possibly already be present.
The thickness of the mattress pad
The thickness of the mattress pad is another sizing dimension that you need to think carefully about. Generally, the recommended thickness for a mattress pad is two inches. However, if your mattress is really worn out, you can consider going for an extra thickness of about three to four inches for your extra comfort.
Those are the basics of sizing a mattress pad. In addition to the size, there are other essential considerations which you need to make if you want your mattress pad to serve you for a long time. Below are a few of these factors.
Picking the right material
The most common materials that are used to make mattress pads are cotton, wool, and latex. Toppers made from cotton are normally thin and quilted, and they can be washed by machine. Pads made from wool and latex are resistant to mold and dust mites, which makes them last longer than their cotton counterparts. The wool pads are perfect for winter because they retain warmth and keep the bed cozier than the other materials. Cotton pads are ideal for the warmer months because of their ability to absorb moisture. If you decide to go for a latex pad, get natural latex derived from trees because of its durability.
Memory foam is another material which is a great alternative to the other three materials. Memory foam molds to your body when you lie in it, making it the most comfortable mattress pad material. It also tends to get quite warm during the night, which makes it perfect for the cooler months of the year. The good thing about the thickness of the mattress pad is that it can actually use it to upgrade your mattress as opposed to replacing it altogether.
The extra features
There are other extra features which will determine your level of comfort when using a mattress. For instance, if your mattress is not hypoallergenic, it might be great to get a mattress pad which is hypoallergenic to solve the allergy problems in your bedroom. Another extra feature which is common in mattresses is odor elimination properties. You understand that odor is common in the bedroom, and if your mattress has a tendency of retaining the smells.
Heat and cooling features
There are so many features and improvements which have been made to the process of making mattress pads. Currently, there are pads with heating and cooling properties. They come at an extra cost but if these are features which you think could be important for your sleeping comfort, you can pay a little extra for the feature.
Noise reduction features
This may seem a little less important than the other factors but when you have installed the mattress pad, you may notice that your partner moving around in bed creates more noise than it used to before because of the mattress pad material. When picking materials, choose one that will not make turning in bed an event generating enough noise to wake up a partner.
Ease of cleaning
As mentioned, there are materials like cotton which can be easily cleaned in the washing machine while others aren’t as easy to clean. Since the mattress pad will be getting most of the dirt coming from the user of the bed, it is best to consider getting materials which are easy to clean and move around. Materials such as feather and down will be almost impossible to clean and when you do, the quality will be greatly reduced.
The benefits of having a mattress pad
There are many benefits which you stand to gain from investing in the right size of a mattress pad. First of all, you will get the comfort which might have disappeared from your bed due to the age of your bed. The mattress pads are designed in a manner which helps ease the pressure off your back when you are sleeping, providing maximum comfort.
The second benefit is that you can get qualities that your mattress didn’t have. For instance, if the pad is made from materials such as latex, it will be more resistant to mites and mold, which means both the pad and the original mattress will be protected from mites.
There are also mattress pads which are made from odor-resistant materials, which means that your bedroom will start smelling fresher than it did before. When you pick a heating and cooling mattress pad, you also get the added heating and cooling benefit that your mattress may not have had to start with.
Finally, it is important to note that mattress pads are designed to help increase the level of comfort which you experience when sleeping. This means that if you suffer from back pain, the mattress pad will be the ideal way to get that extra support your back needs to heal from the ache.
Ultimately, the qualities which you will be looking for in a mattress topper include pain relief, firmness and the extra support that you get from the mattress. Pick a mattress pad that has the ability to support your natural frame and help you maintain your posture.
2) Question: What are the pros and cons of heated mattress pads?
Back Pain Relief
Heated mattress pads have the capability to relieve pain by enhancing your blood circulation while helping to reduce the tension piled on the back. Tension and stress is the common cause of the lower back pain owing to the daily activities. However, this can be worsened if one is suffering from scoliosis or any other backbone condition.
To temporarily relieve this back pain and sleep comfortably at night, you will require a heated mattress. You can keep the heat all night or as long as you want.
Tension and Stress Relief
After a whole day of work, your body will experience tension and stress. Warming your body will significantly relieve your tension while reducing work stress by calming your mind. If you configure your heated mattress, it can emit temperatures at the desired level that will ensure you sleep in a warm, comfortable place.
It’s also safe to heat your natural latex mattress since the heated pads won’t inhibit the benefits that come with such an expensive mattress due to the layers above it. However, if you purchase a padded mattress of more than 6 ounces of padding, you might not benefit from the heat.
Sore Muscle Relief
If you want to relieve sore muscles, the heating mattress pads can do a great service. Stress and tension on your muscles can bring pain while tiring you fast if it is not taken care of. With the help of a heating mattress pad, however, all this could be gone. After coming home tired after a tiring day at work, switching your mattress heating pad on at least 20 minutes before your bedtime will help relieve your sore muscles.
This condition occurs when least anticipated. This condition involves pain spreading across the whole body while making you feel like you’ve been bruised all over the body. Since this is an incurable condition, you only have the option of relieving the pain whenever it occurs.
Among the symptoms of fibromyalgia is heightened sensitivity to coldness, ranging pain, mood swings, as well as tension on your muscles. These symptoms can be alleviated if the patient warms up and avoids lying or sitting on cold surfaces. As such, anyone suffering from the condition could use the mattress heating pad to warm themselves during a cold night or whenever these symptoms come up.
Moreover, you can use the heating mattress pads if you want to have a relaxing moment or want to meditate. Keeping your blood circulating evenly is vital to improve pain management whenever you experience fibromyalgia. Having a heating mattress pad is a better solution, especially when it happens at night.
Increase Blood Circulation
When the body temperature increases, blood expands allowing the heart to pump more blood throughout the body. Increasing blood circulation results in increased oxygen supply around the body, thus enhancing your sleeping experience. An enhanced circulation of blood also improves the health of persons suffering from low blood pressure.
Moreover, many medical conditions such as cardiovascular diseases, numbness, vertigo, stroke, cramps, among others tend to be minimal once you have a good blood circulation in your body.
This is a symptom that is commonly caused by cold weather. It often occurs after you stay outdoors for long or play in the snow for some time. It can also be caused by nervousness, although in rare cases. The symptoms of this condition include changing the color of toes, fingers tips, and the tips of ears and nose. This is brought up by the spasm of blood circulation to the end of these body parts leading to lack of oxygen. As a result, you will experience extreme numbness or coldness in these parts of the body.
The obvious way to fix this problem quickly is to heat your body up. You can heat the mattress pad by setting up high levels to warm you up quickly in order to reduce this syndrome. After getting some warmth, you can again dial down your heating system to appropriate temperature settings for comfort. However, in the case of nervousness, the person can be put in a warmer state to calm down the heart while allowing better circulation of blood to attain normal levels.
Improved Side-Sleeping Experience
The best thing side sleepers will ever ask for is to sleep on a heating mattress pad. Numbness on arms and shoulder is one of the main problems that befall side sleepers. This can be minimized by using a heating mattress pad since it enhances better blood circulation while reducing pain from various pressure points on the body.
Better, Comfortable Sleep with Multiple Setting
Everyone yearns for a better and comfortable sleep every night. Relieving sore muscles, back pains, and numbness on pressured body points is one way to have a better sleep. Using a heating mattress pad is an ideal way to eliminate the aspects that bring about uncomfortable sleep at night. Additionally, some individuals prefer to have a warm sleep and the coldness that they experience once they jump into bed may keep them up for some time as they catch warmth.
If you want to get comfortable quickly once you climb into bed and reduce the turns and tosses you make, installing a heating mattress pad system is a fast and affordable way to do. You can pre-heat your mattress before bedtime, ensuring that you never have to shiver from lying on cold bedsheets again.
It’s important to know that a better and comfortable sleep significantly improves the quality of life since sleep is a basic requirement for humans. Therefore, lack of good sleep may result in serious health issues while negatively affecting focus and coordination. This can be dangerous in a working environment.
It’s Safe with Auto-shut off
Sleeping in a warm bed all night has been made possible by the auto-shutoff heating mattress pads. With them, you can set your heating mattress system to a desired level of warmth and once the level is attained, the system automatically shuts off to prevent overheating. Overheating can be dangerous as it can result in burns and even heat stroke.
Not for All Beds
The heated mattress pad has a limited use. In case you want to get warm while sitting in a certain area of your home, you won’t benefit from the heating mattress pad. Moreover, the pads are not appropriate to use in waterbeds as well as in mechanical beds. Obviously, water and electricity don’t mix. If yours is a bunk bed, the heating pads won’t be applicable because the cord may stretch to reach the upper bed, thus posing a fire risk.
This is the main disadvantage of having a heating mattress pad. Electric appliances often pose fire risks and heating mattress pads are no exception. Even though the heating pad system is professionally tested for safety standards and accident prevention, and may even contain an auto-shut mechanism, these mechanisms may become obsolete after some. As the pad gets older, the wiring may become damaged or frayed without you knowing, thus exposing you to an increased chance of fire accident.
A mattress pad is heated through wired coils that are sewn within the fabrics. Normal wear and tear occasioned by frequent use may result in the breakage of these wires. When a short occurs to one of these broken wires, it can cause a fire accident. Regardless of the fire risk, you can switch on the heating system all night and end up with a cold bed. Ones this happens, you only have the option of discarding the pad and getting a new one.
Not for Children or Pets
If you share a bed with your child or pet, then heated mattress pad is not the way to go. This is because your pet can accidentally damage the mattress by chewing or using their claws through the fabric. This will expose the wires or spoil wire insulations, thus posing an accident risk. Heating mattress pads can also be risky to children and infants because it can get too hot and quickly burn their delicate skin without you knowing. Older children, elderly people, and diabetic persons are deep sleepers so they should avoid heated mattress pads as it can burn their skins if exposed to heat for quite some time.
Not a Washable Material
Since people sleep in their bed for six to eight hours each night, they end up sweating in the bed. This means that everything on the bed requires a proper and regular washing to remove the sweat, bacteria, dust mites, and even dead skin cell that may have accumulated on it. However, these mattress pad materials cannot be washed since the electric wires can’t run through a washing machine during washing. Washing them can also damage the wires and the entire heating system. The fact that you can’t wash the system is a gross disadvantage since you need to sleep in a clean environment.
Electric appliances like heating pads often emit electromagnetic radiation during their operations. As such, researchers are recommending a limited use of the plug-in devices since they are being studied to establish the effects of their long-term exposure and their connection to cancer-causing agents.
3) Question: Are there any safety concerns?
Avoid Heated Mattress Pads When Using a Water Bed
Many people have turned to using waterbeds at night because of the unique kind of comfort they can provide. Waterbeds don’t offer that much resistance to the body, and instead, they will bend and sink to better accommodate the user’s body. There are other reasons why people may opt for a waterbed such as it being capable of providing warmth at night.
If you happen to be among those who have gotten used to and have even grown to love sleeping on top of a waterbed, then you should probably stay away from heated mattress pads, or at the very least, follow some precautionary measures before using one.
According to an article from eHow, if a waterbed suddenly springs a leak overnight and the water comes into contact with the heated mattress pad, that will obviously be a problem for you. It would be unpleasant enough if the mild shock that came from the water and heated mattress pad combined to jolt you awake, but things could get really bad if they left you with a burn or another type of nasty injury. An incident like that could make you fearful of soundly sleeping again.
The same article from eHow does offer a simple solution for how you can avoid being shocked when you choose to use a heated mattress pad on your waterbed. The fix involves covering the heated pad in either a rubber sheet or a waterproof pad. By taking this simple precautionary measure, you ensure that the heated mattress pad will remain protected from the water even in the event that the waterbed does spring a leak. It would probably still be best to avoid using a heated mattress pad on your waterbed if that is at all possible, but if not, then covering it in a protective material of some kind should save you from an unpleasant experience.
Tangled Wires Could Be an Issue
Heated mattress pads still make use of wires to generate that heat you enjoy when you are resting at night. This can be a problem for the simple reason that the wires may be frayed while you are tossing and turning in bed. Sleepers who don’t move around a lot whenever they are in bed will obviously not have to stress that much about this potential issue. However, those who do have a tendency to move around as they sleep may have a bit of a problem here.
Because of the presence of wires, it may also not be such a good idea to use a heated mattress pad when you are sleeping on a surface with crevices and sunken corners. The wires could easily go into those corners and end up getting stuck there. By the time you wake up in the morning, you may go to tug at the heated mattress pad and inadvertently rip out the wiring. You may avoid being electrocuted because you’re already up, but you will still find yourself with a heated mattress pad that is no longer capable of providing that desired heat.
One thing you can do to avoid the wires being tangled up in places they shouldn’t be is to carefully arrange them before you go to sleep. Use zip ties to organize the wires in a way that they don’t get tangled with one another, and then arrange them carefully around the piece of furniture you’ll be sleeping on. Doing this should help prevent those instances when the wires are left in a vulnerable spot.
An Ill-Fitting Heated Mattress Pad May Break More Easily
When you get a mattress cover that’s just a bit too big, the worst thing that can happen is that may feel loose while you’re lying on top of it. When the mattress cover you’ve chosen is on the shorter side, it may come loose from the corners of the bed when you make sudden movements. Things are different when the heated mattress pad you have for your bed is a bit short or a bit long.
Because there are components that can be damaged inside a heated mattress pad, if it is too big for your bed, parts that should not be receiving pressure may end up doing so. If that happens, the parts receiving unexpected pressure could end up breaking. Vulnerable parts of the mattress pad could also end up being exposed to pressure if it’s too small for your bed because it comes loose all the time.
The obvious fix here is prevention. Before you even purchase any heated mattress pad, make sure that you have properly measured the dimensions of your bed. You can’t afford to be off even by just a few inches here so really take the time to measure the length, width, and height of your bed carefully before going out and looking for a heated mattress pad that will fit it like a glove.
Do Not Overestimate the Amount of Heat You Will Need
Imagine a really cold night. The temperature has already dropped quite a bit and maybe there’s even some rain or snow falling outside your window. On nights like those, it never feels like there’s enough warmth to keep you comfortable and you just bundle up as much as you can. Because of the cold, you may even think of using two heated mattress pads to keep you suitably warm over the next few hours that promise to be quite frigid.
The temptation to use multiple heated mattress pads is understandable in that situation, but even so, that is something you should avoid. By using even just two heated mattress pads, you run the risk of them overheating. If they are in constant contact with one another while you are using them, their internal temperatures could rise to the point where they will start to malfunction, and that’s going to be bad news for you. At that point, the best case scenario may be the heated pads malfunctioning. Things could become truly problematic if you sustain an injury too from the pads overheating.
The best fix to prescribe here is to simply avoid using more than one heated mattress pad at a time. If the cold is still too much for you to deal with while a heated pad is already covering your body, it would be ideal if you did something else to obtain more warmth. Try moving to another room if the cold continues to pierce through even the warmth of the heated mattress pad.
Letting Children Use Heated Mattress Pads May Not Be a Good Idea
A grown man or woman’s heating needs vary quite a lot from what a child may be able to tolerate. What may feel like a perfectly toasty temperature for a mother may be uncomfortable for her child. A heated mattress pad may present other problems to children beyond making them feel uncomfortable. If a child using a heated mattress pad is absorbing too much heat, he/she may end up sweating too much as well, and that could lead to them getting sick. Instead of a heated mattress pad helping them sleep better, it may end up contributing to them falling ill.
The fix here is to simply avoid letting children using a heated mattress pad. Children will have a much easier time getting warm from doubling their blankets or wearing thicker clothing. A heated mattress pad is not essential for them staying warm, so avoid letting them use one until they’re a bit older.
Tips for Cleaning Your Heated Mattress Pad
Because the heated mattress pad is an item that uses electricity, it cannot be washed in the same as a normal blanket. The folks over at SFGate have provided some tips for how you can better wash a heated mattress pad and get it ready for more uses.
- Properly prepare the heated mattress pad for washing by making sure that it is completely turned off and that there are no openings that the water may get into. If water gets inside the pad, it may no longer work after washing and you may end up needing to get a replacement.
- Have some lukewarm water ready in the washing machine and then add some mild detergent to it. Those should not do any damage to the mattress pad.
- Let the mattress pad pre-soak in the washing machine for about 15 minutes.
- Turn on the washing machine, but make sure to keep it at the gentle setting to prevent the mattress pad from getting damaged. Allow the washing to continue for about two minutes.
- Drain the water from the washing machine, but keep the heated mattress pad in there and let it spin dry for a bit.
- Prepare your dryer by setting it to low.
- Put the mattress pad in there and allow it to dry for 10 minutes.
- Find a good surface to dry the mattress pad on and keep it there for a while.
- Only plug the heated mattress back in when you are certain that it is completely dry.