Who likes to be cold in the winter? Not me.
If you want to add some extra protection from frigid temperatures, you’ll want one of the best heated hoodies.
These products are very convenient and there’s plenty to choose from – you’ll find one for all needs and budgets.
If you need some help picking one out, make sure to check out the buyer’s guide below.
Let’s take a look at my top choices now!
Ororo Heated Hoodie
Our Rating: 4.9/5
One thing that you’re really going to like with this product is you get 3 heat settings to choose from. This ensures you get the perfect amount of warmth, no matter what the temperature is.
- Very stylish: In terms of looks, this Ororo product is top of the line. It has the kind of style that allows you to wear this hoodie anywhere.
- 3 heating elements: You get pretty good heat coverage with this hoodie too. The heating elements are located across your chest and your back.
- 8 hours of battery life: On the lowest heat setting you get around 8 hours of heat and this should cover you no matter what you’re doing.
- USB port: This is handy little feature and makes sure you always have a charged phone. If you notice your phone about to die you can just plug it into the hoodie!
Another great thing about this product is it’s not too expensive and costs just a hair over $100. Also, there’ a few colors to choose from and a lot of positive reviews about this hoodie. To see the selection and reviews, click below:
Milwaukee Hoodie M12
Our Rating: 4.9/5
Milwaukee is a well known tool company and it’s not a surprise their M12 heated hoodie is made for people that need durability – this product is perfect for anyone who works outdoors or just wants a hoodie that can stand up to anything.
This hoodie has a lot of innovations that make this one of the most effective products on the market too. One aspect that helps is the waffle weave thermal lining. This lining traps heat inside and ensures cold air doesn’t penetrate.
- 3 heat settings: This is the same as the Ororo hoodie you just saw and is definitely a good thing to have. It means you get full control over how much warmth you get.
- Mobile materials: While wearing this hoodie you’ll get a full range of movement too. This is another reason why people who work with their hands will love this product.
- Quick heat function: You won’t have to wait around all day for this product to heat up too. The M12 heats up faster than almost all other hoodies.
- Washer and dryer safe: It won’t take special precautions to clean the M12 either. You can throw it right into the washing machine and dryer.
This is a high end hoodie and because of this it’s going to cost extra to purchase. This is one of the few hoodies that goes north of $200. If you’re looking for the best of the best, though, I would definitely consider this product.
Venture Heat Evolve Heated Hoodie
Company: Venture Heat
Our Rating: 4.9/5
The Venture Heat Evolve is another hoodie that’s high quality and can be used by basically anyone. It doesn’t matter if you’re looking for a hoodie to wear hunting, skiing, hiking or in everyday life – this product is very versatile.
You get a good amount of heat coverage with the Evolve too. It has two heating elements on your chest and one on your back. This ensures you get warmth all over and won’t suffer from being cold.
- 3 heat settings: This is another hoodie that gives you 3 different heat settings – low, medium and high.
- Runs on USB powerbank: The Evolve comes with a powerbank that can be used with anything powered by USB. Also, you can always buy a more powerful powerbank for longer battery life.
- Plush fleece: Another reason this hoodie is so comfortable and warm is the plush fleece.
- Machine washable: This is another product that can be washed in your washing machine. You won’t have to hand wash it or anything like that.
One thing that’s nice about the Evolve is it’s not overly expensive either. It costs more than the first hoodie but less than the M12. Also, it comes in every size imaginable and everyone should be able to find a size that fits them well.
Dewalt Heated Hoodie
Our Rating: 4.8/5
The Dewalt heated hoodie is a lot like the Milwaukee product you saw earlier. Dewalt and Milwaukee are both tool companies and their sweat shirts are made for the same class of people – people that want toughness and mobility.
One thing that separates this product from other is you get 7 hours of heat if you run it on low. As long as you charge it up during lunch it’ll easily last the entire work day. If you’re wearing it for other activities you should get enough heat too.
- 3 heat settings: This isn’t a unique feature but it’s one that you definitely want. Having multiple heat settings gives you full control over how comfortable you are.
- Weather resistant materials: Another reason this product is perfect for the outdoors is it’s resistant to wind and other elements.
- 3 heating zones: When you purchase a hoodie like this one, you want good heat coverage – you’ll get that here.
- USB port: Seeing your phone on 2% is never a good sight. Luckily, if you decide on this hoodie you’ll have a port to charge your phone at all times.
The price on this Dewalt hoodie is pretty good and is actually cheaper than the M12. If you want a hoodie that’s designed to stand up to anything and save a few bucks, you’ll want to think about this product.
Outcool Heated Hoodie
Our Rating: 4.8/5
The Outcool heated hoodie is a nice option and will work for a lot of different people – it’s a versatile product and there’s options for men and women.
This is another hoodie that’s machine washable too. It would be really inconvenient to have to hand wash this product every time it gets dirty. The fact you can just wash it like any other piece of clothing makes life much easier.
- 8 hours of heat: This Outcool hoodie gives you 8 hours of heat. Because of this you can wear it anywhere including on the slopes, hunting, hiking or any other activity that is done outside.
- Carbon fiber heating: Carbon fiber is good for a lot of reasons. First off, it gets warm quickly and it’s safe to use.
- Multiple heat settings: Like almost all the hoodies on this list, this one has a high, medium and low heat setting.
The best part of this product is it’s very affordable and costs under $100. At this price, this hoodie is one of the best values on the market and one all people should consider.
Climix Women’s Heated Hoodie
Our Rating: 4.7/5
This Climix product is made specifically for women and can be used for basically all winter activities. One thing that’s nice about this hoodie is it’s pretty fashionable too. It can be used during more rigorous things like hiking or biking but can be worn in your everyday life too – it just has that type of look.
One thing that’s really nice with this sweatshirt is you get 12 hours of heat if you run it on low. That’s the most you’ve seen so far and will keep you toasty no matter what you’re doing.
- Machine washable: As long as you put this hoodie into a laundry bag you can throw it into the wash. It does need to be hand dried, however.
- 3 heat settings: This is another product that gives you full control over how much heat you get. You’ll always be perfectly comfortable because of this.
- Lightweight: This Climix hoodie is well designed and uses very soft and comfortable materials. Also, they’re lightweight and won’t slow you down during the day.
In terms of price, this product costs exactly where you’d expect it to be (around the $100 mark). I think this is more than fair for what you’re getting.
Dewalt Heated Camo Hoodie
Our Rating: 4.8/5
This is another product from Dewalt and is more of a jacket than a hoodie – I wanted to add it in case there were any hunters looking for a heated camo product to wear out into the woods.
If you are a hunter and don’t have your heart set on a hoodie, you should definitely think about purchasing this product. It’ll keep you warm while also keeping you blended in with your surroundings.
- 4 heat zones: When you’re up at the crack of down and out in the woods, it can get a bit chilly. Luckily, if you decide on this jacket, you get all around heating and protection from the cold.
- Water resistant: Another aspect you’re going to like with this product is it keeps all moisture out and will leave you completely dry.
- USB port: You’ll never be without your phone if you’re wearing this product. It comes with a USB port so you can charge it whenever you want.
- Plenty of storage: Another aspect that’s nice is you get 7 different pockets and you can bring along plenty of hunting gadgets because of this.
Because this is more than a hoodie or sweathshirt, it’s going to cost a little extra. How much extra? Around $170. If you’re looking for protection and heat while hunting, it’s definitely worth that price.
Bosch Men’s Softshell
Our Rating: 4.8/5
Last on this list is a product you’re going to like a lot. This Bosch men’s softshell product is used primarily in the same situations as the first Dewalt and Milwaukee hoodies you saw earlier – mainly on job sites. If you wanted to use it elsewhere you could easily do that too.
Like all the other hoodies and sweatshirts on this list, this one comes with multiple heat settings. This is a pretty standard feature but it is definitely one that you want.
- USB port: This is an aspect that comes in handy and can be a real life saver. If your phone is about to die, you can always plug it in and charge it.
- 5 pockets: You can also keep all your work stuff nearby and on your body because of all the different pockets and storage spots.
- Fast warming: The last thing you want is a sweater that takes forever to heat up. That won’t be a problem for you if you decide on this Bosch product – it gets warm quickly.
Also, you won’t have to worry about weather or rain. The softshell outside keeps all moisture out and you dry! In terms of price, it’s on the more expensive side but it’s not too bad. If you want to see how much it’s going to cost, click below:
How To Choose A Heated Hoodie
If you’re the kind of person who often spends time in a particularly cold climate, you’re no stranger to having to keep warm for long periods of time.
Thanks to heated hoodies, it’s now possible to take the next step in having a comfortable winter experience during the coldest time of year. Not only will cold weather workers in particular benefit, but so too will outdoor sports enthusiasts, such as those who cycle, snowboard, hike, or ski. This is especially true for workers who otherwise are not provided the means to stay warm on the job, such as with a vehicle with a functional heater.
With a little research and plenty of care, you’ll have no trouble finding a quality heated hoodie that meets both your needs and your budget.
Pros and Cons of a Heated Hoodie
There are several benefits to owning a heated hoodie, especially if you are the sort who must work or who enjoys sport in cold climates. These hoodies come with battery packs that generate the heat that keeps its user comfortably warm for a few hours at a time.
Not only are they capable of keeping you warm, certain types of heated hoodies even come with USB ports, giving you the ability to charge your phone or other USB-compatible devices while you’re on the go. Though it may worry you the risk of a sudden fire outbreak, be sure to do your research on the quality of the manufacturer before making a purchase.
The cons to a heated hoodie basically boil down to poor worksmanship and marketing hype. If the company uses cheap materials, chances are they’re not going to withstand the kind of weather you really need it for. Similarly, beware of hoodies that can supposedly run for 10 hours or longer; it’s more likely the battery can last that long while running at 10 percent power, offering very little heat throughout.
What Can You Do in a Heated Hoodie?
Heated hoodies are powered by USB battery packs that use heating elements to keep the wearer warm even during the coldest winter months. These garments are typically waterproof and windproof, allowing you to reduce how many protective layers you typically put on for cold weather activity. Traditionally, you’d need to put on a thermal layer to generate your own warmth, and then ensure all your other layers provide their own form of protection.
With just article of clothing, you’ll have solid protection from the elements without having to deal with all of that. Outdoor athletes would have the ability to wear one base layer underneath their heated hoodie to get the same protection from water, wind, and weather on the ski slopes, on bikes, or wherever their winter sport takes them, and keep their bodies as agile as possible.
Of course, it is equally important for serious outdoor enthusiasts to keep in mind when picking a heated hoodie to buy. Some hoodies weigh upwards of 24 ounces, which is a considerable amount of weight to add on to bodies already carrying other gear. This makes sense, of course, considering the weight of the battery pack and the hoodie’s heating elements, but it is still something that surprisingly few athletes consider.
Outdoor athletes will also want to make sure that the materials used in the hoodie they’re interested in are breathable. Why is this important? Even if you don’t come across water in your adventures, you’ll naturally generate some moisture in your gear as a result of sweating. Without breathability in the hoodie, that perspiration becomes trapped and results in a wet wearer. If that sounds uncomfortable, that’s because it is.
What Else to Look For in a Heated Hoodie
Depending on what you’re looking for in terms of features, a heated hoodie will run you anywhere between $100 and $300. Anything cheaper, and you’re potentially looking at cheap materials that aren’t suitable for comfort or safety. As far as common properties to keep on eye out for, be sure to keep the following in mind.
The fibers used in heated hoodies insulate its wearers from the cold elements while trapping generated warmth within the garment. In most cases, the hoodie will have a polyester coating designed to stay protected under the rain and heavy wind. There may also be an additional material used as an interior lining to improve comfort.
By choosing the right garment designed to match your type of outdoor activity, you stand an excellent chance of having a sufficiently durable layer of protection.
Fit and Style
As functional as they are, so too should heated hoodies fit your body properly. Unless you are hunting and have a particular need for camouflage, then the style of your hoodie comes down entirely to personal preference. Fit, however, is slightly more complicated than that.
If your hoodie fits loosely, the warmth it generates is much more likely to escape as cold air also rushes in. Of course, it would provide you with enough room to add additional layers to your outfit if desired.
Regardless, be sure you take the necessary steps to seal the warmth inside. One excellent way to do this is to get a hoodie that comes with a cinch waist and adjustable cuffs–and a hood, of course.
Depending on the nature of your outdoor activity, you might need the pockets to store devices or to simply warm your hands while outside.
The two important factors in a hoodie’s heating system are the zones and the ability to adjust the temperature. In most cases, the hoodie warms the wearer in the chest and either the lower or middle back. Some will have more zones that include spots near the pockets, around the collar, or just increase the size of the traditional locations. It’s not common to find heated sleeves, but adjustable cuffs can help maintain a solid seal.
Different models have different ways to adjust temperature to different settings, the majority of which simply call the range “low to high.” The reason specific numbers aren’t provided is due to the need to consider the active weather elements. In most cases, you’d want to start on high to generate the initial warmth, and then regulate as your activity fluctuates.
Depending on the heated hoodie you choose, it will contain either carbon fiber elements or steel plates to heat your body.
Steel plates get the job done for less money, but they’re very rigid and make the hoodie both less portable and need to be washed by hand. Carbon fiber hoodies, on the other hand, can be put in the washing machine on a gentle cycle using cold water. As always, be sure to check with the manufacturer for instructions specific to your hoodie.
Battery and Voltage
Heated hoodies run on batteries, which may also come with device charging options. Pay attention to the voltage in particular; the higher the voltage, the higher the maximum temperature setting will run.
Additionally, the milliampere hour refers to battery capacity. The batteries in many hoodies can be replaced with better ones if you find the factory batteries don’t work well enough for you.
Also keep in mind that if you use the battery pack to charge a compatible device, it is going to have an impact on the battery drain, which means it won’t last quite as long. If you’re working and have access to plenty of places to charge, that may not matter, but it’s a completely different story out in the middle of nowhere.
How to Size a Hoodie
Once it’s been washed several times, a hoodie’s printed size tags naturally wear away and leave you with no reminders once you forget exactly what size it is you wear. Fortunately, armed with just a tape measure and a couple of minutes, you’ll be able to discover your size to help you shop for a heated version.
Lay a hoodie you own on a table or similarly flat surface, front side up. Measure from shoulder to hem, and divide the number by 2 and measure that new distance from shoulder to hem. For example, if your hoodie is 36 inches long, measure 18 inches from the shoulder.
This is the point at which you will measure the waist, which is the number that determines your size. For example, hoodies that are 20 inches wide are small, whereas 2XL hoodie widths are 28 inches. Of course, you’ll want to refer to any chart provided by the manufacturer of the hoodie, because not all companies use the same specifications when they make their garments.
How Do Heated Hoodies Work?
The heated hoodie themselves are very simple for the wearer to use. For starters, it’s mostly a typical hoodie, which you’ll wear like any other you’ve had before, except this one should fit better than those ever did. In some cases, you’ll have the cinch waistline and the adjustable cuffs to reduce leaks for the heat to escape through.
As far as using the heating elements, this will vary depending on the exact kind of heated hoodie you buy. Some have simple on/off buttons, others have dials, and others have dual-purpose adjustable temperature that range from off to maximum setting.
Heated hoodies also contain wind-stopping fibers that are also lightweight to prevent too much weight on the wearer from fabric alone. Thanks to materials like windproof micro-carbon, it is possible to have breathable insulation that keeps you warm and dry at the same time.
Why does this matter? Regular materials would fail to keep the heat inside the garment, akin to trying to use a cracked bucket to hold water. This would require the heat setting to be permanently cranked to maximum, and even that would be inefficient while heavily draining the battery.
This is why using the right fabrics for a heated hoodie is critical; be sure to do the proper research to learn about how the manufacturer can promise to thwart the effects of the elements while keeping your core region as warm as you need to feel comfortable out in the cold climate.
If you work or do sport out in the harsh winter months, then heated hoodies are an excellent addition to your arsenal of stay-warm tools. They’re a great lightweight alternative to dragging around layer after layer, and they even sometimes come with the option to charge your USB-compatible devices.
When you’re ready to go the extra mile for comfort in sport or at work, then a heated hoodie is where you’ll want to go. At that point, the rest comes down to what you prefer and what you need for the outdoor activity you do. Above all else, be sure to do your research on all of the top-rated brands of heated hoodies to ensure the garment provides enough heat for an appropriate period of time.